First 5 San Diego, ENERGY 103.7, and AJ are teaming up to encourage your child to eat healthy!
Parents, caregivers and early learning educators play a valuable role in providing healthy food choices to children at an early age. Be a role model by eating healthy yourself!
Be a part of AJ’s Fruit and Veggie Club! Submit a photo of your children – 5 and under – eating their favorite fruits and veggies for a chance to win a $50 Food 4 Less gift card and a chance to be featured on the radio with AJ!
Here are some tips to get your child get the recommended five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day:
- Work fruits and vegetables into the daily routine, aiming for the goal of at least five servings a day. Be sure you serve fruit or vegetables at every meal.
- Make it easy for kids to choose healthy snacks by keeping fruits and vegetables on hand and ready to eat. Other good snacks include low-fat yogurt, peanut butter and celery, or whole-grain crackers and cheese.
- Serve lean meats and other good sources of protein, such as fish, eggs, beans, and nuts.
- Choose whole-grain breads and cereals so kids get more fiber.
- Limit fat intake by avoiding fried foods and choosing healthier cooking methods, such as broiling, grilling, roasting, and steaming. Choose low-fat or nonfat dairy products.
- Limit fast food and low-nutrient snacks, such as chips and candy. But don’t completely ban favorite snacks from your home. Instead, make them “once-in-a-while” foods, so kids don’t feel deprived.
- Limit sugary drinks, such as soda and fruit-flavored drinks. Serve water and low-fat milk instead.
Eating the right foods makes children strong in mind and body. First 5 San Diego offers resources to make sure every child develops healthy eating habits. Call First 5 San Diego at 1888.5 FIRST 5 or visit first5sandiego.org.